Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Using scale factor

• 1.  Using scale factor

Posted 12-12-2020 23:26
    myself koushik from India working in the field of survey for linear project like railway.
    Currently I am involved in the survey of 750 km railway in UTM43N zone with R8S model receive of trimble.
    When I post process the static survey data for Primary control points. it gives me the grid coordinates. But when I use those coordinates to traverse within two control points using TOTAL STATION, there is certain mismatch in the coordinate as well as the height. After processing in TBC , it gives me an option for calculating ground scale factor autmatically.
    My question here is, the Ground scale factor needs to be inserted in the Total station while traversing within those control points or not??
    Will it be the solution??
    I have also the experience for using Leica geosystems and processing its data through Leica infinity software. It Gives us Combined scale factor .
    I noticed the combined scale factor is different from the ground scale.
    Whether those are inverse to each other or not??

Which scale factor should I insert in the TOTAL STATION?
    a) Combined scale factor.
    b) Ground scale factor.

------------------------------
    KOUSHIK PAL

• 2.  RE: Using scale factor

Posted 12-14-2020 08:49
    Generally you should use a combined scale factor for total station work. It combines the grid (ground) scale factor and the elevation factor. Bear in mind that many field software packages, such as Trimble Access, will compute this on the fly for you during your work if you have the coordinate system configured properly. That is the best solution if available.

Dave Olander