Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

• 1.  Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-03-2021 16:02

Hi All!

I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has any personal success stories or customer testimonials to offer in regards to the linear extraction tools added in v5.40? Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Jeff

------------------------------
    Jeffrey Ryan

• 2.  RE: Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-04-2021 08:05
    I've 'experimented' with it 2-3 times now.  While not perfect, the curb/gutter extraction does perform well with straightaways.  Curves and/or angle points seems to struggle and needs refinement.
    Overhead utility lines.  Again, not perfect as it seems to struggle when the line gets close to a utility pole.  In all I'd say it gets about 85% of the work load correct.

James Caughman

• 3.  RE: Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-04-2021 15:20
    Thanks for your reply, James. Have you tried to shorten the intervals around curves? This should help better define the curve and utilizing the linestring tools in the post QA/QC tab, and in TBC (existing linestring edits outside the command) afterwards can help.

Jeffrey Ryan

• 4.  RE: Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-04-2021 09:02
    I have had limited success with both tools. I am finding the processing time to be so long, that I am better off completing the steps manually. For the curb feature, it performs well if I do a series of 'select next point', but the automated process takes too long to be useful. I have recently downloaded one of the sample datasets from Trimble and that dataset performs much better. Can you advise on any steps to optimize my dataset prior to extractiong these features?

Mike Evans

• 5.  RE: Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-04-2021 15:22
    Thanks for your reply, Mike. What are the manual steps you are doing that are faster? I'd be happy to jump on a call and discuss a better workflow. Please let me know if you'd be willing.

Jeffrey Ryan

• 6.  RE: Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-04-2021 17:26
    Jeffery, would love to be able to get on a call next week to discuss further. 

mike.evans@geoverra.com

Mike Evans

• 7.  RE: Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-08-2021 15:09
    Hi Mike,

What type of point cloud data were you using when you experienced the linear extraction tool being slow? Was it an MX9, X7 scan dataset, ect?

Best,
    Erin

Erin Johnson

• 8.  RE: Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-09-2021 08:11
    The data was collected using an RTC360. Our techs used the Leica software to export an E57 file which I then brought into TBC. 

I also use a remote desktop connection to a desktop with the folowing specs:
    HP Z4 G4 Workstation
    Xeon 3.6 Ghz
    128Gb RAM
    NVIDIA Quadro P4000

Mike Evans

• 9.  RE: Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-04-2021 14:59
    Edited by Marian Plucinski 02-04-2021 14:59
    I used it twice with the real life information. I loved it in one case and it didn't work in the second case.

I used it to extract edges of the girders in the point cloud of the scanned bridge. Very useful.
    I tried to extract corners of the rooms in a multi story building. Failure, seems like it doesn't like point clouds all around the area of interest.

Could use more that just 4 points to define a shape though.

Marian Plucinski

• 10.  RE: Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-04-2021 15:26
    Thanks for the feedback, Marian. We are aware of the limitation of 4 nodes and hope to improve this workflow soon. Failure extracting the curb and gutter function in a room is not surprising and would not expect it to work. The algorithm was not built for that scenario and we did not test or advertise this workflow.

Jeffrey Ryan

• 11.  RE: Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-04-2021 18:18
    Hi Jeffrey, we just completed a large topographic survey that combined total station and GNSS survey. Crossing the site was a high tension power line.

We scanned the power lines with an SX10 and utilised the power line extraction toll in V5.4 to extract the linework for the power lines. I had not used the tool before so jumped into the help section of TBC to learn how to complete.  I found the whole process very easy to follow and the tool gave us exactly what we were looking for, three dimensional linework for the five high tension wires. This linework was then assigned the applicable feature from the fxl library and output as deliverables to our client.

Great tool and more like this would be fantastic, a tool for extracting the footprint of a building from a point cloud would be very useful.

Peter Redway

• 12.  RE: Linear Extraction success stories/testimonials?

Posted 02-04-2021 19:53
    Extraction of the planes / cylinders from point clouds would be super useful...

Marian Plucinski