Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Convert CAD points with data

• 1.  Convert CAD points with data

Posted 07-23-2019 08:55

Is there a way to convert CAD points and extract the data from point blocks? If you use Convert CAD points you get a point but none of the data associated with that point: name, feature code, elevation. I have to manually go in and enter this information.

• 2.  Re: Convert CAD points with data

Posted 07-29-2019 16:13

There is a Trimble Way to set up Point Blocks that have Point ID, Description, Code etc. If you export a Point from TBC and export using Point Blocks you will see how it is setup. If the DXF / DWG file you are importing is setup the same way we will convert it into those fields automatically. Because there are so many ways to configure AutoCAD we don't support all possible variants - but you can set it up to give bidirectional data flow between the systems (that is how we send / receive DXF with SCS900 / Siteworks and Carry the point Numbers and Descriptions of Points and the Descriptions of Linework.

Alan

• 3.  Re: Convert CAD points with data

Posted 08-10-2019 07:47

I tried this process this morning and it is probably doable but there is a lot of back end setup and conversions that you need to work through in Civil3D for this to be successful. Doable but requires knowledge into the inner workings of yet another software. The other issue is that depending on the program or the company, setups could be inconsistent from file to file, like you mention.

Maybe a tml could help with this. I need to start learning to code.