Trimble Business Center

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

• 1.  Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 01-20-2020 13:23

It would be super valuable to have the ability to export a georeferenced image with a jgw file with a simple right click option. This would be a huge compliment to Siteworks ability to view background images and greatly speed up this process and eliminate the need to micro manage images with plotboxes. 

#enhancementrequest Please consider.

Thank you!

• 2.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 01-21-2020 04:26

Or maybe a TML could accomplish this? All of the parameters I would imagine could be calced with the properties of the image.

World file - Wikipedia 

• 3.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 01-21-2020 08:35

When a PDF is imported it is first converted to a .PNG format.  This format allows us to control transparency, but at the cost of using more memory.  

Select the image then run the command writeworldfile from the command line.  This will create a world file in the same folder as the image using the same format as the image. (PNG, JPG, TIFF, etc.)  

If you import the image again (PNG not the pdf) and the world file is in the same folder, then the image is automatically placed and georeferenced.

A small treat for 2020.

Note that hidden commands such as this are typically used internally for debug and testing.  They are not documented, tested in each release, or maintained.  They may be removed from the product at any time.  Usage is at your own risk.   

• 4.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 01-21-2020 08:45

That is very awesome. Thanks Tim. This speeds up the process tremendously.

Hopefully this makes it officially into TBC. Maybe as an exporter?

• 5.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 01-23-2020 16:09

For PDFs that are already georeferenced, I would imagine that you could also select it and export it as an orthoimage. You could send it right to whichever file path you want right from there and it will give you the world file as well. I will export with the dpi it was imported into TBC as.

In the future I would love to see a place to assign background images to a site under the Job Site Manager. I wouldn't want to import each background images to TBC every time I assigned an external jobsite, but I would love to be able to have to option to choose when to import one and which one to import into TBC from the Job Site Manager window. I suppose you could also just drag and drop them from the Trimble Synchronizer Data folder too.

• 6.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 01-24-2020 04:57

Agreed. You would need some way of associating coordinates to images and pdfs that do not have a world file though. You can do this in Connect but I'd rather a plugin in TBC. 

• 7.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 06-21-2020 03:28

writeworldfile has disappeared in 5.3! Has it been integrated into the regular menus?

• 8.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 06-23-2020 16:04

Command should still be there. Remember to select image before running command.

• 9.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 07-04-2020 19:12

Thanks for the reply Gary. Unfortunately I can't bring up writeworldfile do i need to enable advanced commands?

commands available beginning with w

TBC 5.30.7422.14341 with Site Construction licence.

• 10.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 07-06-2020 04:45

Hi Tom, did you try to complete the command despite it's not showing in the list? I don't get the command in the list of options, but once I put "writeworldfile" into the command line and press Enter, it works fine. I have all the modules activated though, maybe that is the reason.

• 11.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 07-06-2020 13:00

yea I'm not getting anything when I type in "writeworldfile" in the command pane with an image selected. Nothing is being written.

TBC ver 5.30 Infrastructure

• 12.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 07-06-2020 13:50

If you enter the full command name and hit enter, you will get no response. If you key in the command name wrong, you will get a "Command not found" type error.

What did you select before running the command?

• 13.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 07-06-2020 14:07

I found it! I was looking in the wrong place for the world file output. Thanks for responding. 

• 14.  RE: Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 11-03-2022 10:07
    100% This should be a supported function. This command is great for getting georeferenced plans out to the field without going through the capture process. I am coming from another software package that is part of the standard workflow.  The capture process is like doing the work a second time. The image is already referenced, just kicking out a quick world file is great. Glad I came across this command and hopefully it is officially supported at some point. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Elijah Voigt
    Land-Tech Services LLC
    New Jersey USA
    ------------------------------

• 15.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 07-06-2020 03:12

This definitely needs to be a dedicated, official exporter especially with the field software supporting these files. 

• 16.  Re: Feature Request - Georeference Image - Right click and export image with jgw

Posted 10-30-2020 03:14

Great webinar this week by Adam Bower. Thank you. : Trimble Construction Software | TBC Tips & Tricks with Adam at AB Civil: Adding Siteworks Images - YouTube  

I still think this process could be streamlined with a dedicated export process. You can do this with orthoimages. This would be extremely valuable for larger projects with multiple sheets. There is a ton of value when bidding projects because you don't have to go through all of the CAD data prep. 

Please consider @Sanjeev Saha

Example of a highway project:
    • This is from a bid package. Quick turn around on this would be great to bring out to the field and use for reference. 
    • On DOT projects, usually only 2 to 4 weeks for submittal so quick turn around time is critical

Example of a town utilities upgrade project:
    • Multiple Sheets to compose length
    • Multiple sheet types
      • Drainage
      • Layout
      • landscaping

Waste Water Treatment Facility