TBC Macros and Extensions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Name Linework

• 1.  Name Linework

Posted 11-28-2018 10:31

I would like to put in a request for a macro to name line work by layer. This is a manual process that I am doing currently and it it is very slow. I made this request on the Business Center board and Alan mentioned a macro might be a good fit.

Feature Request - Name Linework 

What I envision:

• Selection: window selection for entities to be named
    • Option: Skip entities that have names (Default) or Option to overwrite current name
    • Option: Name by layer (Default) or custom entry
    • **only applies to entities that can be named

Please let me know if you have any questions on this. Thank you.

• 2.  Re: Name Linework

Posted 11-29-2018 05:23
      |   view attached

@Gary Lantaff and @Eric Condemilicor I am just moving this info to the original question. 

Add boundary to surface offset macro 

From Gary

I have attached a TML that will name objects based on layer name. If you

think this works well, I will publish to the forum.

You specify the new name using a text box. If " is included in the new name, the layer name will replace that. So if you enter something like " L= old=" you will get something like "L=MyLayer old=OldName". If the

mask is just "NewName", then the selected lines will have that as their

name.

Let me know if this works for you.

Gary//

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 6:40 AM Patrick L'heureux <trimble@jiveon.com>

From Pat

That works like a dream. That will save me countless hours.I will do a little more testing and get back to you.

@Eric Condemilicor are you running version 5.0 of TBC? if so can you test out the macro that Gary prepared. I think it covers my needs for naming linework, I just want to get a second pair of eyes in case I missed something. 

Attachment(s)

zip
    AssignNameFromLayer.zip   2 KB 1 version

• 3.  Re: Name Linework

Posted 11-29-2018 07:55

Some of the text was stripped out so let me update that.

You specify the new name using a text box. If "{L}"  is included in the new name, the layer name will replace that. Using "{N}" will insert previous name. So if you enter something like " L={L} old={N}" you will get something like "L=MyLayer old=OldName"

If you just want the name of the object to be the layers name, use "{L}" for name mask. (don't add quote characters)

• 4.  Re: Name Linework

Posted 11-30-2018 05:08

@Gary Lantaff From what I have seen, I think this macro does exactly what I need. If I see anything that needs tweaking a will let you know.

Thanks Gary.

• 5.  Re: Name Linework

Posted 11-29-2018 19:14

Thanks, Pat and Gary, I haven't had the chance to install the new TBC 5.0 yet. I normally would wait a few weeks or months to let someone discover all the bugs first hahahaha...sorry.

• 6.  Re: Name Linework

Posted 11-30-2018 05:34

Check out the Macro Forum if you haven't already done so - this problem has been solved and there is a downloadable Macro for you all to use if this is something you need. 

The Macro Forum can be found at this link

Click Here

The following Macro's are out there today for you

1. Insert Line Segment - an easy way to insert additional nodes into existing linestrings without the overhead of the Linestring Editor
    2. VPI at Elevation - Creates VPIs on a selected Linestring at a specified elevation, wherever the elevation exists on the linestring as it is defined currently. This is helpful if you have 3D Lines e.g. that represent Bridge Piers, and you are trying to create locations on those lines for e.g. a Concrete pour at a specified elevation. Note that you can also draw additional lines that snap to the VPI locations once created if you need to create the slab itself etc.
    3. Find Surface Area - allows you to select any boundary area on a surface Model that has been textures, site improvement or just a closed line that is an area for which you need to know the Surface Area of the triangles included within the area. You can single or multi select lines to get combined areas. The "mini report" can be placed on the drawing as text if needed to label the areas
    4. Offset Surface - Allows you to select a surface and apply a surface offset above or below the existing surface to create a second surface at the offset value
    5. Surface to Grid - Allows you to create a Grid of Points on a defined Grid pattern from a 3D Surface Model. This saves having to use the Create Surface Elevation Grid that has a lot of Text, and it works super fast on large area surveys. A great way to cut down Drone or Scan Point Clouds to a regular grid. You can do this reference to an alignment and specify Station and Offset Intervals separately, you can export a points file and then auto reimport the points as a point cloud if needed. You can also compare the selected surface to another surface and report the deltas between the Grid points and the second surface for QA purposes. Awesome TML!
    6. Assign Name from Layers - for those of you that want to rapidly name a lot of lines using the name of the Layer that the Line is on as the new name for the objects (optionally ignoring names if they already exist) as a process before sending data to the field - you now have your tool!

Keep watching the Macros Forum - awesome productivity tools

Alan

• 7.  Re: Name Linework

Posted 12-01-2018 08:08

Thank you very much for this. I will be using it quite a bit for QC'ing layout info sent to the field.